Arizona Study Program
The Arizona Study Program (ASP) was started in 1958 to provide a consecutive and comprehensive plan of music study designed to motivate and encourage the student to strive for growth and excellence. The Arizona Study Program is a 12-year graded course of study developed by ASMTA to provide for the development of musical Performance, Theory and Technique. It is organized in terms of the twelve years of public school, with one level for each of the years a student would be enrolled in school. It requires continual work throughout the year and is evaluated each spring by a master adjudicator and a written theory test.
|Chair||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTM|
|Immediate Past Chair||Elaine Mooney, NCTM|
|Secretary||Barbara Spoelman, NCTM|
|Administrative Materials||Barbara Stoutenburgh, NCTM|
|Ribbons & Plaques||Sarah Elliott|
|Certificates||Fran Kaspar, NCTM|
|ASP Local Chairs|
|East Valley||Lara Heeder Holt
Barbara Spoelman, NCTM
|Eastern Arizona||Janice Holladay|
|Northern Arizona||Marjorie Johnson|
|Phoenix||Carol Hill, NCTM
Barbara Stoutenbourgh, NCTM
|Tucson||Kassandra Weleck, NCTM
Gloria Ritt, NCTM
|PMTA||April 26-27||Arizona Piano|
|PMTA||April 27||Scottsdale Community College|
|TMTA||May 4||U o fA School of Music|
Enrollment deadline $20 per student. A $15 late fee is added after November 1.
Student Program Form(s) due (Levels 5 - 12).
End of late enrollment.
Send Level 12 student's address and all records (years, levels, teachers) to Local Chair.
Complete and return both copies of the Confidential Report Form to your Local Chair by the designated date.
McCurnin Teacher Enrichment and/or Certification Grants application due
Materials Order Form: Obtain workbooks and other ASP materials for your students.
Forms provided to every member:
Packet 1 (Yearbook): General Information Letter, Enrollment Form, Program Form and Materials Order Form
Forms provided to members enrolled in Arizona Study Program:
Packet 2 (March/April): Evaluation Information
Packet 3 (May): Evaluation Results
- Each student must purchase a theory workbook.
- Complete and return the Enrollment Form. (Copy additional Enrollment Forms if necessary.)
- Send one check for your class (teacher's check only). NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS.
- A student may be enrolled in different levels for performance/technique and theory.
- Indicate the different levels on all forms and name tag.
- Records will show completion of the lower of the two levels.
- The performance level will determine the time allotment for evaluation.
- Theory must be brought up to the performance level within two years.
- Students may be evaluated in only one level per school year.
- Levels may be repeated and/or skipped at the teacher's discretion.
- Indicate previous teacher(s) of all transfer students if students were previously in ASP.
- Level 4, 8 and 12 awards are given only for completing Category A.
- Repertoire, technique and theory must all be at the same level in the same year.
- A level 12 student may take the theory test after January 1. Contact chairman for dates.
- Notify Chairman in writing of any students dropped or any changes in program, level or category.
- If a student cannot be evaluated on the above dates, contact the chairman before April 1st to make arrangements for another time. There may be an additional fee for the adjudicator.