Find A Teacher
Find Arizona Music Teachers
ASMTA member teachers are highly qualified, active professionals in their field.
Nationally Certified Teachers through the Music Teachers National Association can be found using the MTNA zip code search tool at http://www.mtnacertification.org/. The search can be found in the left column.
Referral Services are available from the following local music teacher associations:
East Valley (EVMTA) Teacher Referral Service
Phoenix (PMTA) Teacher Referral Service
Tucson (TMTA) Teacher Referral And Information Line
Phone: (520) 749-3074
Interviewing Music Teachers
To find a good teacher/student fit, a personal interview is important. Here are some suggested questions:
- What method (i.e. what type of instruction books) do you use?
- How long are lessons?
- What are your practice and performance requirements?
- Do you hold recitals?
- How much is tuition?
- Do their students participate in local, state or national competitions? Has the teacher had any winners?
- Discuss your goals as a student to determine if the teacher finds these goals achievable.
- Do your students participate in the Arizona Study Program?
- How do you approach a student "like me"? (beginning, intermediate, old, young, transfer, etc.)
- What is your approach to teaching theory, sight reading, and keyboard harmony?
- Do you teach musical styles such as jazz, improvisation, traditional, electronic, etc?
- Can you provide some names of students as references?